Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The summer that wouldn't DIE!

It's official.  This is the worst summer since I've been living here (December 1999.)  It's probably the worst summer on record.  I can blame global warming, I can blame the expansion of concrete and blacktop to cover the entire center of the state, but it doesn't really matter when it comes down to it.  What matters is that it was 97 degrees yesterday in Mesa, Arizona.  Yes, you read that right.  Nearly triple digits in November.  We're running our air conditioner right now, and it's almost 8 pm.  What sun god or goddess did I displease...or please too much?  Or is it the gods and goddesses of the cold that I've neglected to worship?  That must be it.  I'll erect my altar to the northern gods tomorrow.

But that doesn't sound right.  The Norse worshipped their gods, trying to appease them into giving them a mild winter.  I want an ice storm in Phoenix that extends to August.  Okay, I'll never get anywhere near that, but a pleasant November where the temperature never rises above 78 would be nice.  Sigh.

It's supposed to cool down by the weekend.  Still, my son is having a hard time understanding why we had the door open to let in the fresh air for a week, and now it's closed all the time again.  I miss it too, son.  I miss it, too.

1 comment:

  1. I would be overjoyed if you all were able to relocate to Colorado... I'm building up a good network here so I'd be happy to introduce y'all to people of like minds and my family is always welcoming to people who need parental substitutes :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete