Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Why do I wait until the last minute?

This happens right around every major holiday.  I have a long list of stuff to do, some of which needs to get done, and some of which is just stuff I'd like to get done.  So what do I love to do?  I procrastinate, start in on the stuff that I'd like to get done, and do a half-assed job on the stuff that needs to get done at the last minute.  Every year my holiday season preparations are cut short because we fly out to the midwest to see my in-laws.  I love visiting with them, and we always have a blast there, but I guess I mentally miscalculate how much time I have to do everything because I start thinking about the days until Yule, not the days until the Yule party I'll be attending or the day my flight leaves.

I have a Yule party Wednesday night to go to, and I get on a plane on Sunday morning.  In the meantime, I want to make some chocolates to give out to my friends (who are all leaving for a cabin trip on Thursday and Friday,) get a couple of things from the mall, take back a bra that doesn't fit right before I get on the plane, and get some healthy plane snacks.  I need to make a list of all the groceries we need for the next few days before we fly out (and buy them,) send off the gifts I bought for my family, and clean up the house.  Oh yeah, we're also throwing a New Year's Eve party, even though we're coming back on the night of the 30th.  Yeah, my hubby and I are crazy.  I also need to arrange for a ride to the airport, since we forgot that my brother would be on the aforementioned cabin trip, and wouldn't be home to drive us in the wee hours to catch our plane.

Sigh.  I'm not bitching.  I'm just frustrated with myself.  In my day to day life, I try to get in a half hour of reading and a half hour of spanish with my son, in addition to some counting and physical activity.  I go to the gym or work out at least 5 days a week, and take my sanity time (sometimes by force) when I need it.  Finding time to shower is often difficult, or just seems like a waste of time because I could be relaxing, reading, sleeping, or having alone time with my man.  I wanted to take down my fall harvest decorations (which are still up) and put up some winter ones, and I'd love to finally get to painting some ornaments, a project I started two years ago and never got around to finishing.  Where does all the time go?  How do other moms do it?  I think there's some secret that I haven't been let in on.  Yeah, they're all laughing and waiting for a massive breakdown before they tell me.  Haven't my little breakdowns been enough?  Have mercy and tell me, oh great moms of perpetual sanity!  Or is it that I'm just terrible at putting a good face on my lack of grace?  I'll put my money on the latter.

1 comment:

  1. hopefully the stress has passed and you had a lovely holiday.

    I can't wait to see you new year's eve!!!

    ReplyDelete